Help i'm getting CTD's
Table of contents
Expand to view
- Crashing on Startup (before main menu appears)
- Crashing on “new character”
- Crashing while Playing your character
- Any Crash related to atidxx64.dll Or nvwgf2umx.dll
- Crash to Desktop on save when using the BitDefender Antivirus (No crash code, just an exception code).
- Crash to Desktop when entering a building or on “finalising setup”. Crash code fiss.dll+4481 or SkyrimSE.exe+D6DDDA.
- When using a crossbow for the first time. Crash code SkyrimSE.exe+7BEC84 (only affects Version 1.0)
- When mounting horse with a follower. SkyrimSE.exe+6441D0 (affects Version 1.1 - 1.1.5)
- Entering Windpeak Inn in dawnstar while on quest “Rise in the East”. SkyrimSE.exe+C28E26 (only affects Version 1.0)
- Crash on save with crash code (skse64_1_5_97.dll+5CE66)
- Crash on trying to edit Iequip. SkyrimSE.exe+C28C8B
- Crash on save with crash code making no reference to skyrimSe.exe (e.g Unhandled native exception occurred at 0x0 on thread) AKA the coffin crash
- Noble with Bodyguard crash. (SkyrimSE.exe+10B9F52) (only affects Version 1.0)
- Honed Metal Random Crash. (SkyrimSE.exe+DDB796)
- Random Crash. Unidentified Cause (SkyrimSE.exe+C2A5F3)
- Random NPC Movement crash (SkyrimSE.exe+11012FC)
- Istar Cairn-Breaker crash (SkyrimSE.exe+21FFE3)
- Collision Crash. (SkyrimSE.exe+E014EC)
- Crash selling Dwarven Dagger to Lisbet in Arnleif and Sons Trading (No crash code, just an exception code)
- Save corruption. (SkyrimSE.exe+12DC5B)
Skyrim with Wildlander creates crash logs. You can access these crash logs by using the button on the advanced page of the launcher. Important - If your game is freezing rather than crashing, then the cause of the freeze is most likely to be a “out of memory” error
The first line of the Crash indicates the Crash code - and the process which crashes. E.g
- Unhandled native exception occurred at 0x7FFEF914CE66 (skse64_1_5_97.dll+5CE66) on thread 7360!
- Unhandled native exception occurred at 0x7FF6C59F2BEF (SkyrimSE.exe+132BEF) on thread 1552!
- Unhandled native exception occurred at 0x7FFD09DC23A0 (atidxx64.dll+523A0) on thread 6944!
- Unhandled native exception occurred at 0x7FF8DEA95E07 (nvwgf2umx.dll+265E07) on thread 27128!
The brackets are generally the most important line of the crash code E.g (SkyrimSE.exe+132BEF). you should search this page for this code.
If you have crashes which are not included in this list, they are repeatable and you are running an unedited list - you can copy your crash log to pastebin, and create a bug report. We require - minimum - when filling out this form all of the below information. The more information you can give us - the easier it will be to track down.
- What you were doing when the crashes occurred.
- A Link to your pastebin of the full crash log.
- The version of Wildlander - as shown in the bottom left of the launcher.
Crashing on Startup (before main menu appears)
Typically Caused by a corrupt plugin which is also master. Rerunning the Wabbajack installer choosing “overwrite install” will generally resolve these issues.
Note: If you are running a customized build - this can also be caused by a missing Dependency of a mod you installed.
Crashing on “new character”
May generate crashes with codes SkyrimSE.exe+132BEF or SkyrimSE.exe+1BF04F
If you have played a character, exited to the menu and tried to create a new character. This is expected behavior.
If it is your first character after a clean install, then it could be caused by a mod which didn’t install correctly. Rerunning the Wabbajack installer choosing “overwrite install” will generally resolve these issues.
Crashing while Playing your character
Any Crash related to atidxx64.dll Or nvwgf2umx.dll
This crash is associated with your Graphics card drivers. Make sure they are up to date. If that doesn’t work, try updating your windows drivers. Some have also said this can occur if you P.C doesn’t fill out all the requirements needed to run Skyrim(P.C too weak-sauce). Only assume this after trying out all stated options.
Crash to Desktop on save when using the BitDefender Antivirus (No crash code, just an exception code).
Crash-logs usually start with Unhandled native exception occurred at 0x7FF8C00004FA (other numbers may occur) ! But no “Skyrim.exe Crash code”
The clue for this crash is the below.
Possible relevant objects (2)
[ 161] BGSProjectile(FormId: 0007326E, File:
[ 161] GrenadeProjectile(FormId: 851F0CEC, File:
Fozars_Dragonborn_-_Requiem_Patch.esp&, BaseForm: BGSProjectile(FormId: 0007326E, File:
Apply the following fixes after install to prevent crash on save
- Easy solution - Turn off Advance Threat Defense when playing Wildlander
- proper Solutions - Add a ADT exception for
- If you also have “Ransomware Remediation” on Add
Crash to Desktop when entering a building or on “finalising setup”. Crash code fiss.dll+4481 or SkyrimSE.exe+D6DDDA.
These Error codes have two causes
Out of memory crash. Caused by System Ram and page file overflowing.
Bigger Skyrim mod lists need a lot of memory, and when there is not enough available it may fail allocating more. To fix this, you’ll want to have a bigger page-file.
A page-file is a file on your disk Windows will use when there is not enough RAM available.
Never disable the page-file - this may lead to various issues on your system, such as this Skyrim crash.
If you’ve never touched the page-file, try performing the following steps:
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard and enter sysdm.cpl ,3
- Under the Performance section, press ‘Settings’
- Go to the Advanced tab at the top, and at the Virtual memory section press ‘Change…’
- Disable ‘Automatically manage paging file size for all drives’
a) If you have more than one drive, try enabling it for at least one more drive as a backup (make sure it has a decent bit of free space, like 15GB). Set the size to ‘System managed size’.
b) Otherwise, set a custom size for the drive it’s currently on and increase the maximum size to be at least 20GB - the minimum can be left at the default.
This Error can also be caused by a corrupt NIF/DDS file.
If adding a page file doesn’t resolve, then look through the logfiles’ stack section for Meshes(nif files) or Textures(dds). The below log snippet shows a example of the type of file you are looking for. Search your PC for the file(s) shown. Delete the Mod folder that texture is located in, Important: It wont be in the folder in the log (e.g data\TEXTURES) as these come from the virtual filesystem - you will need to search. Then reinstall from Wabbajack - choosing overwrite installation.
[SP+200] 0x1EC0CCCD990 (BSResource::anonymous_namespace::LooseFileStream*)
[SP+208] 0x1EC00000002 (void*)
[SP+210] 0x1EC0CCD3418 (char*) “data\TEXTURES\plants\shrub01half_n.dds”
[SP+218] 0x1EC0CCD3458 (char*) “data\TEXTURES\plants\shrub01half.dds”
When using a crossbow for the first time. Crash code SkyrimSE.exe+7BEC84 (only affects Version 1.0)
The crossbow mod needs to initialize and cannot do this while in combat causing the CTD.
Fix: When you get your crossbow - equip and unsheathe it right away (unless you obtain while in combat).
When mounting horse with a follower. SkyrimSE.exe+6441D0 (affects Version 1.1 - 1.1.5)
In follower Live package MCM - there’s a option which says followers summon horses - turn this off.
Entering Windpeak Inn in dawnstar while on quest “Rise in the East”. SkyrimSE.exe+C28E26 (only affects Version 1.0)
NPC Irlof is causing the game to bomb out. Fortunately he is just a “flavor” NPC so can be safely deleted.
Fix: Use the following console commands to make him go away (one per line).
prid 0005226B markfordelete disable
Crash on save with crash code (skse64_1_5_97.dll+5CE66)
Fortunately rare - but believed to be caused by saving while some form of head-tracking is in use (E.g Lock on in True directional movement).
Crash on trying to edit Iequip. SkyrimSE.exe+C28C8B
This is caused by a conflict between consoleutil and Iequip. If you want to edit the Iequip screen, turn time dilation down to zero, make your changes, then change it back.
Crash on save with crash code making no reference to skyrimSe.exe (e.g Unhandled native exception occurred at 0x0 on thread) AKA the coffin crash
Caused by a City NPC dying while wearing cold weather gear (e.g cloaks, gloves, facemasks).
In the example below you can see a Coffin object (may also be a burial Urn) - each NPC has a unique hall of the dead object.
You will need to use a save cleaner and terminate the offending script (WIDeadBodyCleanupScript) causing the issue moving the NPC to the coffin.
- using ReSaver from FallrimTools
- Loaded the savegame > Active Scripts > WIDeadBodyCleanupScript
- Located ScriptInstance: WIDeadBodyCleanupScript: *refID=DEFAULT: Followed by the NPC Reference id causing issues (if you don’t know which NPC - its safe to remove all WIDeadBodyCleanupScript)
- terminate the script
Possible relevant objects (5)
[ 24] TESObjectREFR(FormId: 000DEFB5, File:
Skyrim.esm, BaseForm: TESObjectCONT(Name:
Coffin, FormId: 000F6891, File:
Requiem for the Indifferent.esp <- Requiem Record Fixes.esm <- Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp <- Skyrim.esm))
[ 34] TESObjectARMO(Name:
Wolfskin Cloak - Light Trimmed Black, FormId: 76002348, File:
Requiem for the Indifferent.esp <- Wildlander.esp <- 1nivWICCloaks.esp)
Noble with Bodyguard crash. (SkyrimSE.exe+10B9F52) (only affects Version 1.0)
This crash is caused by a random roadside spawn of a NPC with a bodyguard. The Noble has a bad facegen. This bug will be fixed in 1.1.
Fix: none, however avoiding the area where the crash occurred for 24 hours normally “rerolls” the encounter.
Honed Metal Random Crash. (SkyrimSE.exe+DDB796)
This we believe to be caused by scrolling though the honed metal blacksmith menu too quickly, causing Skyrim to fail to load item previews.
This typically happens around the Saddle’s - we are not sure if this is the cause or just a co-incidence.
Fix: Use the filter to find the objects you want to craft - Dont scroll.
Random Crash. Unidentified Cause (SkyrimSE.exe+C2A5F3)
This crash basically means something went wrong somewhere. Every report we have received is for different “relevant objects”. It is not reproducible on demand.
Fix: reload and redo.
Random NPC Movement crash (SkyrimSE.exe+11012FC)
The crash logs for this that we have seen are all in different locations, with different NPC’s. Its not reproducible on demand.
Fix: reload and continue playing from last save.
Istar Cairn-Breaker crash (SkyrimSE.exe+21FFE3)
Happens in and around Dragonbridge at sunrise (7am). Caused by the scrips telling Istar Cairn-Breaker to put his torch away - but he isnt using one.
This is a rare crash - attempts by staff to prevent the issue have reduced frequency but not prevented it all together.
Fix: If you are inside of Dragonbridge’s Inn Wait until 8am. If you are approaching in Dragonbridge dont do so until after 8am.
Collision Crash. (SkyrimSE.exe+E014EC)
This crash basically means someone - when coming out of a building, collided with something.
95% of the reports I’ve had are in Whiterun, caused by a NPC Loading inside a static object(scrubbing tub). At the rear of Arcadia’s there are two farmhouses which have a scrubbing tub near them - NPC’s leaving the house occasionally spawn inside the scrub tub, instead of outside the door.
Fix: If the crash occurs in Whiterun, then disable the scrubbing tub using console, For all other locations, please raise a bug report.
Crash selling Dwarven Dagger to Lisbet in Arnleif and Sons Trading (No crash code, just an exception code)
We don’t know what causes this specific weapon to cause the crash. It is under investigation.
Fix: Sell it to someone else.
Save corruption. (SkyrimSE.exe+12DC5B)
This crash means your save has corrupted - there is no fix. Any save you make after will have the same issue. Typical cause is “save-scumming”
Symptom: cant load any save after the initial load into the game (attempting causes a CTD). You may be able to “continue” from main menu, but not load specific save from main menu, or visa versa.
Only solution is to roll back saves until you find one which works correctly.
Recommendations to reduce chance of issue occurring
- Don’t save more than one a minute
- Never save in combat
- Avoid saving right after entering a building/cave/dungeon.
- If you have re-enabled autosaves - turn them off.