Fishing is a completely new mechanic in Skyrim Anniversary Edition update that adds a Fishing mini-game, dozens of new quests, and even places to display your prized catches in player homes. It’s easy to start Fishing, and there’s a surprisingly high number of new fish and unique items that can only be acquired through this new minigame.
How to Fish
Firstly - Acquire a fishing rod, these are for sale from general merchants, and free at some fishing spots in the world. The one located at the guardian stones near Riverwood is especially convenient for starter players.
Equip the rod (it’s classed as a weapon)
Then - if at a fishing spot, use the supplies. If not. “attack” a body of water to cast.
- When first casting out, the intensity of ripples on the water’s surface indicates about how many fish are available at this spot. If there are no ripples, wait one day for fish to respawn.
- The Fishing line will tug gently a few times before it really starts tugging. Don’t fall for the false start – be patient and only press the Action button when you’re certain a fish has bitten.
- Some items improve the ability of the player to catch fish and rare items, including improved Fishing Rods and the Lucky Fishing Hat
- Some fish only appear at specific spots throughout Skyrim. Some fish only appear in Rainy weather, which can be triggered by wearing the Lucky Fishing Hat or the Ring of Kynareth
After successfully catching a fish for the first time, players are automatically given the quest Angler Acquaintances, which guides them to a fishery in Riften. As players continue through the many Fishing-centric quest lines given by Swims-In-Deep-Water they gain new gear, improve their fishing skills, and are given everything they need to truly master the rivers and lakes of Skyrim.
The act of fishing has many variables that go into determining what the player catches. The most important of these are the biome the player is fishing in, the time of day, the population of fish, the rod the player is using, and any quests that the player may have active.
Fish can be common, uncommon, or rare, and are also either large or small. Unless using certain fishing rods, there is an equal chance of a fish being large or small. Junk also has common, uncommon, and rare rarities, with some drops differing depending on whether the fishing area can contain Dwemer items.
The time of day is also important for catching fish. During the hours of 6am to 9am and 6pm to 9pm, fishing area’s will have more fish in them before running dry. This peak time also reduces the odds of caught fish being of common rarity, and increases the odds of fish being uncommon or rare.
A fishing area’s population is determined each day, and will typically have 5 or 6 fish. If you fish during peak hours, this increases to between 7 and 9 fish. As you empty the fishing spot of its fish, the odds of catching a fish decrease. If there are 4 or more fish left, there is a 90% chance of catching a fish and a 10% chance of catching a junk item. Once the fishing spot drops to 3 fish or fewer, these odds lower to 80% chance of catching a fish and 20% chance of catching junk. When the spot has dried up, there is of course a 0% chance of catching fish, and junk will be fished up every time.
The fishing rod used by you has one of the biggest effects on your fishing odds. Alik’ri and Argonian Fishing Rods decrease the chances of a caught fish being common and increases the chance of it being uncommon or rare. All rare fish also can only be caught by using a specific rod. If you are not using that rod when a rare fish is pulled, you will receive the notification “You lost your catch.” Alik’ri rods have an 80% chance of the fish being small and are required to catch Angelfish _and _Lyretail Anthias, while the Argonian rods have an 80% chance of the catch being large and are required to catch Angler _and _Scorpion Fish. The Dwarven Fishing Rod increases the odds of catching junk over fish, and further decreases the chances of catching a fish when the population of a spot is at 3 or less. The Dwarven Fishing Rod also reduces the odds of caught junk being common to increase the chance of it being uncommon and rare.
All three specialist fishing rods are acquired during the various quests given by Viriya (Alik’ri and Dwarven rods) and Swims-In-Deep-Water (Argonian rod). Acquiring each rod by these means also gives you the ability to craft them yourself if you should lose or sell the original.
There are 6 biomes that you can fish in. These are Freezing Waters, Underground, Temperate Lakes (Clear Weather), Temperate Lakes (Raining), Temperate Streams (Clear Weather), and Temperate Streams (Raining). These biomes determine what fish you can catch, and most fish are exclusive to a small number of biomes. This is also the only effect that the weather can have on fishing: determining the biome of temperate water sources. For example, a goldfish can be caught at a lake when the weather is clear, but cannot be caught when it is raining or at any other biome.
|Small||Abecean Longfin |
|Large||Arctic Grayling||Arctic Char |
|Tripod Spiderfish |
|Small||Abecean Longfin |
|Cyrodilic Spadetail |
|Brook Bass |
|Small||Cyrodilic Spadetail||Abecean Longfin |
|Small||River Betty||Histcarp |
|Large||Brook Bass |
|Small||River Betty |
|Brook Bass |
[†]These fish require an Argonian Fishing Rod to be caught.
[‡]These fish require an Alik’ri Fishing Rod to be caught.
|Crabber’s Charm (xx1D8FF2)||1||8||Amulet|
|Hide Fishing Boots (xx0008E1)||1||2||Boots|
|Hide Fishing Waders (xx0008E2)||1||2||Chest|
|Hide Fishing Hat (xx0008E4)||0.5||1||Hat|
|Linen Vagrant Boots (xx000E4C)||2||1||Boots|
|Linen Vagrant Hood (xx000E4B)||1||1||Hat|
|Linen Vagrant Robes (xx000E4A)||1||5||Chest|
|Name (ID)||Weight||Value||Enchantment / Notes|
|Denstagmer’s Ring (xx000B2B)||0.25||12000||Resistance against fire, frost, and shock is improved by 20%.|
|Lynea’s Amulet of Dibella (xx000C66)||1||100||Increases Speech skill by 15 points. Increases your Stamina by 40 points.|
|Hide Lucky Fishing Hat (xx000A6F)||0.5||1||When worn, rainstorms occur whilst fishing at temperate lakes and streams.|
|Mentor’s Ring (xx000B29)||0.25||8000||All spells cost 10% less magicka to cast.|
|Ring of Khajiit (xx000B94)||0.25||18000||You move 10% faster. Allows you to cast the spell Hide.|
|Ring of Kynareth (xx0EA5CC)||0.25||2000||When worn, rainstorms occur whilst fishing at temperate lakes and streams.|
|Ring of Phynaster (xx0008E3)||0.25||18000||Resistance to magic and shock is improved by 20%. Resistance to poison is improved by 40%.|
|Ring of Surroundings (xx000BC0)||0.25||12000||You are 40% harder to detect.|
|Ring of the Wind (xx000BA0)||0.25||8000||You move 15% faster.|
|Vampiric Ring (xx000C07)||0.25||12000||Cloak of drain life - 10/s drain life on targets in melee range while in combat.|
|Emperor Crab Spirit Charm (xx000F07)||0.5||2000||Can swim underwater without drowning. Increases Evasion Armor skill by 78 points. Increases Heavy Armor skill by 78 points.|
|Warlock’s Ring (xx000B2A)||0.25||22000||While blocking, creates a ward that protects against spells for up to 50 points. Health regenerates 30% faster. You move 5% faster.|
|Alik’ri Fishing Rod (xx00084D)||1 Hand Sword||N/A||2||75||24||Greatly improves the chance of catching small fish when fishing.|
|Argonian Fishing Rod (xx000850)||1 Hand Sword||N/A||3.5||55||24||Greatly improves the chance of catching large fish when fishing.|
|Ancient Nordic Dagger (xx000E44)||1 Hand Dagger||Steel Ingot; Perk: Craftmanship||3.5||5||30|
|Ancient Nordic Mace (xx000E46)||1 Hand Mace||Steel Ingot; Perk: Craftmanship||15||17||60|
|Ancient Nordic Warhammer (xx000E47)||2 Hand Warhammer||Steel Ingot; Perk: Craftmanship||26||42||114|
|Dwarven Fishing Rod (xx00084E)||1 Hand Sword||N/A||6||110||30||Greatly improves the chance of catching items when fishing.|
|Fang of Haynekhtnamet (xx000ED3)||1 Hand Dagger||Dragon Bone; Perk: Draconic Blacksmithing||6.5||1446||66||Target takes 30 points of shock damage, and 60 points of irresistible damage to Dwemer constructs.|
|Fishing Rod (xx00084F)||1 Hand Sword||N/A||3||10||18|
|Honed Ancient Nord Dagger (xx08A1ED)||1 Hand Dagger||Steel Ingot; Perk: Dwarven||4.5||9||48|
|Honed Ancient Nord Mace (xx08A1EE)||1 Hand Mace||Steel Ingot; Perk: Dwarven||15||31||78|
|Honed Ancient Nord Warhammer (xx08A1EF)||2 Hand Warhammer||Steel Ingot; Perk: Dwarven||26||76||138|
|Irkngthand War Axe of Fire (xx07AED6)||1 Hand War Axe||Dwarven Metal Ingot; Perk: Dwarven||16||742||84||Burns the target for 20 points. Targets on fire take extra damage.|
|Irkngthand War Axe of Freezing (xx04D05E)||1 Hand War Axe||Dwarven Metal Ingot; Perk: Dwarven||16||742||84||Target takes 20 points of frost damage to Health and Stamina.|
|Nord Hero Dagger (xx08A1E4)||1 Hand Dagger||Steel Ingot; Perk: Advanced Blacksmithing||2||210||48|
|Nord Hero Mace (xx08A1E5)||1 Hand Mace||Steel Ingot; Perk: Advanced Blacksmithing||13||390||78|
|Nord Hero Warhammer (xx08A1E6)||2 Hand Warhammer||Steel Ingot; Perk: Advanced Blacksmithing||24||660||132|
|Raw Angler (xx000890)||2||30||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 90 pts||Details: Large Fish, common Sources: Freezing waters only while using the Argonian Fishing Rod. Pilgrim’s Trench, small cavern on the ocean floor|
|Raw Arctic Char (xx0008A4)||1||10||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 60 pts||Details: Large Fish, Uncommon, Any Weather Sources: Freezing waters Hela’s Folly Orphan’s Tear (within the sunken deck) Pilgrim’s Trench|
|Raw Arctic Grayling (xx0008A3)||0.5||5||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 30 pts||Details: Large Fish, Common, Any Weather Sources: Freezing waters; e.g. Dawnstar fishing spot near the boat.|
|Raw Brook Bass (xx00089C)||0.5||2||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 30 pts||Details: Large Fish, Common, Any Weather Sources: Outside Mixwater Mill Temperate Lakes and Rivers|
|Raw Carp (xx000898)||0.5||2||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 30 pts||Details: Large Fish, Common, Any Weather Sources: Outside East Empire Company Warehouse Under Dragonsreach bridge. Temperate Lakes|
|Raw Catfish (xx000897)||1||3||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 60 pts||Details: Large Fish, Common, Rainy Weather Sources: Temperate Lakes; e.g. Near Geirmund’s Hall, Riften, or Falkreath|
|Raw Cod (xx0008A2)||1||15||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 60 pts||Details: Large Fish, Common, Any Weather Sources: Freezing waters Outside Anga’s Mill Outside Bronze Water Cave|
|Raw Direfish (xx000896)||1||4||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 60 pts||Details: Large Fish, Common Sources: Underground fishing spots Inside Broken Oar Grotto Embershard Mine|
|Raw Glass Catfish (xx0008A0)||0.5||2||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 30 pts||Details: Large Fish, Common Sources: Underground fishing spots Blackreach Lost Knife Hideout Inside Reachwater Rock|
|Raw Pogfish (xx000891)||1||3||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 60 pts||Details: Large Fish, Uncommon, Any Weather Sources: Riverwood fishing spot Temperate Rivers|
|Raw Salmon (xx00089B)||1||3||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 60 pts||Details: Large Fish, Very Common, Any Weather Can also be used to make Salmon Steak Sources: Everywhere|
|Raw Scorpion Fish (xx0008A1)||1||30||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 60 pts||Details: Large Fish, Rare Sources: Eleven underground fishing spots only while using the Argonian Fishing Rod. Darkfall Cave One (which respawns rarely) to catch by hand.|
|Raw Slaughterfish (xx000F25)||2||5||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 90 pts||Details: Large Fish, Common, Any Weather Sources: Temperate Lakes and Streams|
|Tripod Spiderfish (xx00089E)||0.5||10||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 30 pts||Details: Large Fish, Uncommon Sources: Underground fishing spots Blackreach Inside Broken Oar Grotto - 19 in total. Embershard Mine Inside Reachwater Rock Lost Prospect Mine Shadowgreen Cavern, under a rock in the pool of water|
|Raw Vampire Fish (xx00088B)||1||10||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 30 pts||Details: Large Fish, Uncommon Sources: Underground fishing spots Castle Volkihar - 10 can be found in the surrounding waters. Lost Knife Hideout Inside Reachwater Rock Dead Drop Falls Dimhollow Crypt - 5 can be found in the water surrounding Serana’s coffin.|
|Raw Mudcrab Meat (xx014D22)||0.1||0||Very Small||Restore Stamina, 30 pts||Sources: Mudcrabs Fish Barrels; e.g. Outside the Riften Fishery on the docks.|
|Crab Cakes (xx000F78)||0.1||5||Heavy||Restore Stamina, 40 pts Fortify Block, 5 pts for 300 seconds||1 Salt, 1 Sack of Flour, 1 Raw MudCrab Meat|
|Cooked Angelfish (xx000881)||0.2||40||Medium||40 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Angelfish|
|Cooked Angler (xx0008A5)||2||40||Heavy||150 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Raw Angler|
|Cooked Angler Larvae (xx00088E)||0.2||2||Medium||40 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Angler Larvae|
|Cooked Arctic Char (xx00088D)||1||15||Heavy||100 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Raw Arctic Char|
|Cooked Arctic Grayling (xx00088C)||0.5||8||Heavy||50 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Raw Arctic Grayling|
|Cooked Brook Bass (xx00087C)||0.5||5||Heavy||50 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Raw Brook Bass|
|Cooked Carp (xx00087E)||0.5||5||Heavy||50 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Raw Carp|
|Cooked Catfish (xx00087F)||1||5||Heavy||100 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Raw Catfish|
|Cooked Cod (xx00087A)||1||18||Heavy||100 points Restore Magic and Stamina (out of combat)||1 Raw Cod|
|Cooked Direfish (xx000880)||1||5||Heavy||100 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Raw Direfish|
|Cooked Glass Catfish (xx000882)||0.5||5||Heavy||50 points Restore Magic and Stamina (out of combat)||1 Raw Glass Catfish|
|Cooked Glassfish (xx00088F)||0.2||2||Medium||40 points Restore Magic and Stamina (out of combat)||1 Glassfish|
|Cooked Goldfish (xx000883)||0.2||15||Medium||40 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Goldfish|
|Cooked Juvenile Mudcrab (xx00089A)||0.2||15||Medium||40 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Juvenile Mudcrab|
|Cooked Lyretail Anthias (xx000884)||0.2||40||Medium||40 points Restore Magic and Stamina (out of combat), Fortify Magicka 50 pts for 300 seconds||1 Lyretail Anthias|
|Cooked Pearlfish (xx00087B)||0.2||18||Medium||40 points Restore Magic and Stamina (out of combat)||1 Pearlfish|
|Cooked Pogfish (xx00088A)||1||5||Heavy||100 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Raw Pogfish|
|Cooked Pygmy Sunfish (xx000885)||0.2||5||Medium||40 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Pygmy Sunfish|
|Cooked Scorpion Fish (xx00087D)||1||40||Heavy||100 points Restore Stamina (out of combat), resist poison 60 for 300 seconds||1 Raw Scorpion Fish|
|Cooked Spadefish (xx000886)||0.2||18||Medium||40 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Spadefish|
|Cooked Tripod Spiderfish (xx000887)||0.5||15||Heavy||50 points Restore Stamina (out of combat)||1 Raw Tripod Spiderfish|
|Cooked Vampire Fish (xx000888)||1||18||Heavy||100 points Restore Magic and Stamina (out of combat)||1 Raw Vampire Fish|
|Creamy Crab Bisque (xx000F02)||0.5||8||Soup||40 points Restore Magic and Stamina (out of combat), Fortify Stamina 25 pts for 1200 seconds, 1 pt Magic regen for 1200 seconds||1 Salt, 1 Flour, 1 Butter, 1 Raw Mudcrab Meat, 1 Water bottle|
|Crab Stew (xx000F76)||0.5||5||Soup||75 points Restore Magic and Stamina (out of combat), 1 pt Stamina regen for 1800 seconds||1 Garlic, 1 Potato, 1 Leek, 1 Raw Mudcrab Meat, 1 Water bottle|
|Potato Crab Chowder (xx000F06)||0.5||8||Soup||40 points Restore Magic and Stamina (out of combat), 25 points Magic regen for 1200 seconds||1 Potato, 1 bottle Milk, 1 Butter, 1 Raw Mudcrab Meat, 1 Water bottle|
|Roasted Tomato Crab Bisque (xx000F04)||0.5||5||Soup||40 points Restore Magic and Stamina (out of combat), Fortify Magicka 20 pts for 1200 seconds , 1 pt Magic regen for 1200 seconds||1 Salt, 1 Tomato, 1 Butter, 1 Raw Mudcrab Meat, 1 Water bottle|
|Aged Flin (xx000C2D)||0.5||180||fortify health, 90 points for 900 seconds, slows the regeneration of Stamina by 25% and twice that for Magicka for 1350 seconds. applies Alcohol blur for 900s||Sources: Quest items for Spirits Away.|
|Ingredient Name (ID)||Primary Effect||Secondary Effect||Tertiary Effect||Quaternary Effect||Value||Weight|
|Angelfish xx0008EB||Regenerate Health||Resist Fire||Fortify Marksman||Waterbreathing||30||0.25|
|Angler Larvae xx0008F0||Lingering Damage Health||Regenerate Stamina||Waterbreathing||Fortify Two-handed||1||0.25|
|Glassfish xx0008EE||Restore Magicka||Invisibility||Fortify Illusion||Nighteye||1||0.25|
|Goldfish xx0008EF||Restore Stamina||Fortify Armor||Waterbreathing||Resist Frost||10||0.25|
|Juvenile Mudcrab xx0008F2||Regenerate Stamina||Fortify Carry Weight||Cure Disease||Fortify Two-handed||10||0.25|
|Lyretail Anthias xx0008F1||Restore Magicka||Fortify Alteration||Fortify Conjuration||Fortify Carry Weight||30||0.25|
|Pearlfish xx0008EC||Restore Stamina||Resist Frost||Spell Absorb||Fortify One-handed||15||0.25|
|Pygmy Sunfish xx0008ED||Restore Stamina||Lingering Damage Magicka||Damage Magicka Regen||Fortify Restoration||2||0.25|
|Spadefish xx0008F3||Restore Health||Fortify Lockpicking Expertise||Fortify Pickpocket||Cure Disease||15||0.25|
|Iron Cooking Pot||5||9||Common|
|Steel Hunting Knife||2||16||Common|
|Iron Hunting Knife||1.5||9||Common|
|Iron Large Pot||5||23||Rare|
|Iron Clothes Press||2||10||Rare|
|Steel Battleaxe Head||12||66||Rare|
|Iron War Axe Head||4||12||Rare|
|Animal Bone (Small)||0.5||5||Rare|
|Animal Bone (Large)||2||10||Rare|
|Animal Bone (Superlative)||10||50||Rare|
Note: In addition to above, Leather and hide armors, Iron, Steel, Elven or Orcish weapons and armor can also be fished up rarely.